The Great Sphinx of Giza, also known as the Sphinx of Giza, or simply the Sphinx, is a limestone structure with the head of a human and the body of a lion that sits watch over the Great Pyramids in Giza. The sculpture is somewhere around 4500 years old, and is believed to be one of the oldest Sphinx sculptures ever created in Egypt.
The Egyptian MuseumWith 107 halls full of pharaonic antiquities, The Egyptian Museum is a must-see for visitors to Cairo. The funeral mask of King Tutankhamun, New Kingdom royal mummies, and 160,000 other artifacts covering 5,000 years of Egypt’s past are housed here. Photography is not permitted inside the museum, and camera must be checked at the building entrance. Museum labels are in Arabic and English.
The open-air market Khan el Khalili Bazaar in Cairo, Egypt is one of the most highly visited souks in Cairo by both tourists and locals alike. The streets and corridors are lined with merchants selling everything from souvenirs and antiques to traditionally forged metalworks. The area also has several coffeeshops, and is considered a must-visit site in Cairo.
The pyramids in Giza are the only remaining of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. Visitors may enter the 5000 year old tombs for varying fees depending on how much access they’re looking to gain. The pyramids are accessible by public transportation (bus or metro) or by taxi (ask for “el-ha-ram”). Housed inside the pyramids are the Tomb of Idu, Tomb of Qar, Tomb of Seshemnefer, Tomb of Sennedjem-Ib, Tomb of Pa-sen, Tomb of Ka-em-ankh, and the Tomb of Nen-sedjer-ka, among other sites for visitors to experience.
Recent Travel Blogs
- Einzelbilder in Seoul – Rescuing Dogs August 2, 2019
- Einzelbilder in Colombia July 5, 2019
- 🇬🇷 Aloha Athens June 18, 2019
- Rice is twice as nice in a cake June 4, 2019
- China (Beijing, Xi’an and Shanghai) and Swiss airlines May 28, 2019
- Seoul, South Korea with DMZ North Korea tour May 21, 2019
- Taipei Layover May 21, 2019
- Singapore Layover May 21, 2019
- A bit of Taiwan’s hiking trails May 5, 2019
- Einzelbilder finds in Miami! April 24, 2019